Introduction: How To Resell
Are you looking for a way to make money reselling? If so, then this guide on how to resell online is perfect for you! With the rise of online marketplaces, reselling has become easier than ever. In this beginner’s guide, we’ll show you how to get started and succeed in the world of reselling by taking a look at the apps and websites used by resellers.
I learned how to resell items on many platforms and generate a full-time living for 5 years. During this time I traveled across America searching for the best thrift stores to turn my garage into a full-fledged reselling business. I loved the freedom reselling provided and the different people I’d meet along the way. I miss that feeling of finding a valuable item sitting on a dingy shelf in a thrift store. Like a treasure hunt!!!
Best Reselling Apps and Websites
- Poshmark: Poshmark is a popular online marketplace where users can buy and sell secondhand clothing, shoes, accessories, and more
- Tradesy: Tradesy is an online marketplace for buying and selling pre-owned luxury fashion items.
- Vinted: Vinted is a mobile app and website for buying and selling secondhand fashion items.
- Mercari: Mercari is a mobile app and website for buying and selling a wide variety of items, including fashion.
- Grailed: Grailed is an online marketplace for buying and selling men’s fashion items.
- eBay: eBay is one of the largest online marketplaces, where users can buy and sell a wide variety of new and used items, including fashion.
- ThredUp: ThredUp is an online consignment store where users can buy and sell secondhand clothing, shoes, and accessories.
- TheRealReal is an online consignment store specializing in luxury fashion items. He
- Etsy: Etsy is an online marketplace for handmade and vintage items, including clothing and accessories.
Features & Fess of each reselling platform
Please note fees are of the time of writing this blog post.
|20% commission on sales > $15
|Pre-paid shipping label, offer system, “Posh Protect” program
|19.8% commission on all sales
|Pre-paid shipping kit, offer system, “Tradesy Promise” program
|5% commission on all sales
|Pre-paid shipping label, offer system, “Buyer Protection” program
|10% commission on all sales
|Pre-paid shipping label, offer system, “Mercari Guarantee” program
|9% commission on all sales
|Pre-paid shipping label, offer system, “Grailed Protection” program
|10% commission on most sales
|Shipping options, offer system, “Money Back Guarantee” program
|Up to 90% commission on sales
|Pre-paid shipping label, “Clean Out” and “Rescue Box” programs
|Up to 40% commission on sales
|Pre-paid shipping label, “White Glove” and “Concierge” services
|5% commission on all sales
|Custom listings, shipping options, contact system
How to Resell for a Side Hustle
What is Reselling?
Reselling is the act of buying items and then selling them for a profit. This can be done both online and in person. Many people turn to reselling as a side hustle because it’s relatively easy to get started and can be done in your spare time. If you are still interested in learning how to resell please read on.
Why become a Reseller?
I began reselling as a way to break free from the constraints of a full-time job. Combining my love for travel with the flexibility of reselling, I was able to make it my full-time business and enjoy the freedom to do what I wanted, when I wanted. Reselling allowed me to work fewer hours while making more money than in my previous job. I often woke up to see that I had already met my sales quota for the day, even while sleeping. It was an amazing feeling. I will say though some days were bleak and I wouldn’t make many or any sales that are expected in this market. To cover those bad days I’d put my items on a discount sale the next day which made up for the prior day’s lack of sales.
Top reasons why you might choose to resell as a side hustle:
- Flexibility: You can resell items whenever you have spare time.
- Low startup costs: You don’t need a lot of money to get started with reselling.
- Unlimited earning potential: The more time and effort you put in, the more money you can make.
- Go Full-Time: You can turn it into a full-time business and make a good profit.
- Treasure Hunting: Finding treasures at a thrift store can be pretty fun!
What Items Should You Resell?
When it comes to reselling, there are no hard and fast rules about what items you should sell. However, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Look for items that are in demand: Check out online marketplaces to see what items are selling well.
- Choose items you’re familiar with: If you’re knowledgeable about a certain type of item, such as sneakers or electronics, you may have an easier time reselling those items.
- Consider the condition of the item: Items in good condition will generally sell for more than those that are damaged or worn.
I resold pretty much anything I could get my hands on from clothing to medical equipment. Here’s a list of the items I did well in the resell market.
- Shoes: ( brand name shoes, especially Jordon sneakers)
- Designer Clothing: (Mall brands are fine but high-end is better like Gucci, and YSL)
- Printers: (I did very well reselling used printers on eBay)
- Vintage Electronics: (Reselling DVD/VHS Combos, Cassette Players, Radios Etc.)
- Vintage Toys: ( Reselling vintage toys of any kind usually did well)
- Sporting Equipment: ( I resold a lot of sports equipment)
My favorite item to resell was shoes because I knew the industry and what to look for. Any type of Jordan in any condition (if the price is cheap) can do very well. Most name brands of sneakers can net you $45 per sale and reselling vintage sneakers can go for a lot more. $45 was my profit goal when looking for profitable sneakers thrifting.
The best thrift Stores For Resellers
There are many places you can find items to resell, both online and in person. Here are a few options:
- Goodwill: Goodwill is a nonprofit organization that provides job training and employment services, as well as operates thrift stores that sell donated items. The organization accepts a wide range of donations, including clothing, furniture, and electronics. Goodwill stores can be found in many locations across the United States and Canada.
- Savers: Savers is a thrift store chain that operates in the United States, Canada, and Australia. They accept donations of clothing, accessories, household items, and more. In addition to selling secondhand items, Savers also partners with local nonprofits to support their fundraising efforts.
- Buffalo Exchange: Buffalo Exchange is a buy-sell-trade clothing store chain that focuses on current, trendy clothing and accessories. They buy clothing and accessories from customers and resell them in their stores. Buffalo Exchange has stores in many locations across the United States.
- The Red Cross: The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization that provides emergency assistance, disaster relief, and education. They accept donations of clothing, household items, and more to support their programs. The Red Cross has offices and donation centers across the United States.
- Family Thrift: Family Thrift is a thrift store chain that operates in Arizona and Texas. They accept donations of clothing, household items, and more, and sell them in their stores. Family Thrift also partners with local nonprofits to support their fundraising efforts.
You can also find thrift hauls at Garage sales and websites like thredUp where you can purchase a mystery box of clothing in bulk. I received many shipments of bulk clothing from ThredUp and normally I’d turn a good profit. Sometimes finding very high-end clothing pieces. If you go this route I’d recommend watching some unboxing videos on YouTube first and getting an idea of what could be inside these mystery boxes.
More great ways to find items to resell:
- Pawn Shops
- Antique Malls
- Facebook Marketplace
- liquidation websites
What City Has The Best Thrift Stores?
There are many cities in the US with great thrift stores, so it can be difficult to narrow it down to just one. However, some cities are particularly well-known for their thrift store scene. Here are a few cities that are often considered to have some of the best thrift stores in the US:
- Portland, Oregon: Portland is known for its quirky and eclectic style, and its thrift stores reflect that. Some of the city’s best thrift stores include Red Light Clothing Exchange, Goodwill Bins, and House of Vintage.
- New York, New York: New York City is home to some of the most famous thrift stores in the world, including the iconic Goodwill store in Greenwich Village. Other popular thrift stores in the city include Housing Works, Beacon’s Closet, and the Salvation Army Family Store.
- Seattle, Washington: Seattle is home to a thriving thrift store scene, with a variety of stores catering to different tastes and styles. Some of the city’s best thrift stores include Lifelong Thrift Store, Red Light Vintage, and Value Village.
- San Francisco, California: San Francisco is known for its vintage clothing and retro style, and its thrift stores reflect that. Some of the city’s best thrift stores include Goodwill Boutique, Wasteland, and Mission Thrift.
- Austin, Texas: Austin has a reputation for being a hip and trendy city, and its thrift stores are no exception. Some of the city’s best thrift stores include Thriftland, Buffalo Exchange, and Blue Velvet.
Of course, these are just a few examples, and there are many other cities with great thrift stores as well. It all depends on your personal style and preferences. Regardless of where you live, thrifting can be a great way to find unique and affordable items while also supporting a more sustainable way of shopping.
Tips for Reselling Success
Here are a few tips to help you succeed in the world of reselling:
- Do your research: Before you buy an item to resell, make sure you’ve done your research and know what it’s worth.
- Price competitively: Check out the prices of similar items on online marketplaces and price your items competitively.
- Be honest about the condition of the item: If an item is damaged or has flaws, be upfront about it in the item description.
- Provide excellent customer service: Make sure to respond promptly to customer inquiries and ship items in a timely manner.
- Don’t overspend: Keep a budget and stick to it.
- Have Fun: Enjoy reselling and treat it like a hobby and not a job.
How To Resell: Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a lot of money to start reselling?
No, you don’t need a lot of money to start reselling. You can start with just a few items and reinvest your profits to buy more.
Can you make a living off reselling?
The amount of money you can make from reselling varies depending on the items you’re selling, the demand for those items, and the effort you put into your reselling business. Some people are able to make a full-time income from reselling, while others use it as a side hustle to make some extra cash.
What if I don’t have much experience with reselling?
That’s okay! Everyone has to start somewhere. Start small and do some research to learn more about reselling. As you gain experience, you’ll become more comfortable with the process and be able to grow your reselling business.
How to resell and travel
The best thing about reselling is taking time off to travel. You can travel and work at the same time by sourcing inventory whilst you are sight seeing.
How to resell: Conclusion
Learning how to resell can be very valuable. It’s a great side hustle for anyone looking to make some extra cash. With the right approach, you can turn reselling into a profitable and enjoyable business. Remember to do your research, price your items competitively, and provide excellent customer service. With a little effort, you can succeed in the world of reselling and turn it into a successful side hustle. So, go ahead and give it a try – you might just surprise yourself with how much you can earn!