Make Money Walking Dogs Intro
Dogs are man’s (or woman’s) best friend and they provide us with unconditional love and loyalty. As a result, the demand for dog walkers has increased in recent years, with more and more people looking to hire professionals to take care of their furry friends while they are at work or away on vacation.
If you love dogs and enjoy spending time outdoors, then becoming a dog walker may be the perfect side hustle for you. In this article, we will provide you with a quick comprehensive guide on how to make money walking dogs.
Qualifications and Skills Needed
To make money walking dogs, you do not need any specific qualifications or certifications. However, there are certain skills and qualities that will make you a successful dog walker.
- Passion for dogs: You must have a genuine love for dogs and be comfortable working with them.
- Physical fitness: Dog walking can be physically demanding, so it is important to be in good physical condition.
- Good communication skills: You need to be able to communicate effectively with dog owners and understand their needs and concerns.
- Responsibility and reliability: As a dog walker, you are responsible for the well-being of the dogs in your care, so it is important to be reliable and responsible.
Tools Needed to Become a Dog Walker
To become a dog walker, you need a few basic tools to get started. Here are the most essential ones:
- A smartphone: A smartphone with a good camera and internet connection is essential for communicating with clients, tracking your time and distance, and receiving payment.
- A leash: You’ll need a sturdy, reliable leash for every dog you walk. Consider getting multiple leashes in different lengths, depending on the size and breed of the dogs you’ll be walking.
- Treats: Treats can be helpful for rewards and motivation, but make sure to ask the dog owners first if they have any dietary restrictions or preferences.
- Waste bags: Clean up after the dogs, and always carry extra waste bags.
- First Aid Kit: You never know when an accident may happen, so it’s best to always be prepared with a first aid kit specifically for dogs.
- Comfortable Shoes: A good pair of walking shoes will make your walks more comfortable and reduce the risk of injury.
- Identification: Make sure to carry identification on you at all times, in case of an emergency.
- Driver’s Licence: In some cases, you may need a driver’s license unless you plan to work within your own community.
- Vehicle: If you plan to take Dog Walking seriously you’ll need a decent-sized vehicle. Sometimes you might have more than one dog to handle.
Note: Some dog walking services may provide certain equipment or supplies, so make sure to check with the company you’ll be working for.
The Best Websites That Offer Dog Walking Jobs
PetBacker is another platform that offers dog walking services, as well as dog sitting, grooming, and temporary home services. With a comprehensive rating and review system, PetBacker allows clients to chat with potential dog walkers and get a feel for their personalities before making a decision. The platform is available in over 50 countries and can be accessed via the website or app.
Rover is a popular dog walking platform that also offers services such as house-sitting, doggy daycare, and dog boarding. With availability in over 50 cities, Rover provides a wide range of opportunities for experienced dog sitters. To join, you simply create a profile, accept requests, and get paid two days after an assignment. On average, dog walkers earn around $25 per hour, with dog boarding being the highest-paying service.
Wag! is a dog-walking company that operates in several cities, including San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, and more. Only experienced dog walkers are accepted and they must pass two tests to gauge their dog knowledge and situational handling skills. The company pays its walkers around $15 to $17 per hour, and your personal rate can vary depending on location, competition, and reputation.
PetSitter.com is a platform that connects pet owners with pet sitters. Services offered include pet sitting, boarding, grooming, training, and walking. As a dog walker, you can view all dog owners in your area looking for a walker, view their requirements, and see hourly rates before you even meet them. You can also create your own profile on the website to have pet owners come to you.
Swifto is a dog-walking company that operates in New York City and Miami. As a W2 employee, you are eligible for benefits and insurance. Walkers are required to commit to a minimum of 15 walks a week, with most walkers doing between 25 to 40 walks per week. The company requires a 6-month commitment from its walkers.
Care.com is an established platform that started as a classified ads website for childcare and senior care services. They have since expanded to pet care services, including dog walking. To start your dog walking business on Care.com, you need to fill out an extensive form detailing your location, experience, services, and rates. Hourly rates on Care.com range from $10 to $30, with city-based dog walkers, usually pricing higher. The platform is transparent, allowing you to view clients’ addresses, past reviews, business information, and more.
How Much Can I Earn Dog Walking?
The amount a dog walker makes working for one of these companies can vary based on several factors such as location, competition, services offered, reputation, and hours worked. On average, dog walkers can earn anywhere from $10 to $30 per hour.
For example, Rover states that its dog sitters can earn up to $1,000 a month just by playing with dogs. Dog walkers on this platform usually earn around $25 per hour. While Wag! pays its walkers around $15 to $17 per hour, and Care.com’s rates range from $10 to $30 per hour, depending on location and type of service. PetSitter.com and PetBacker do not specify their pay rates, but it would depend on the negotiations between the pet owner and the dog walker. Swifto pays its dog walkers as W2 employees and provides benefits and insurance.
Dog walking jobs are a good way to make extra money and can even be a full-time job. Basically, if you love dogs and love walking, then this will be a job you’ll love. If you are serious about this career path then consider starting a dog-walking business.